Forgot Root Password "Give root password for maintenance"
To reset your root password:
1. When the GRUB loader shows during boot press the spare bar to pause boot.
2. Select your boot kernel.
3. Type 'e' to edit the default kernel line.
4. Type 'e' again on the line that starts with 'kernel'.
5. Add 'init=/bin/bash' to the end of the 'kernel' line then press enter.
6. Type 'b' to boot the modified kernel parameters.
7. Once you're at the /bin/bash prompt you will need to remount the root file system as read/write in order to edit the passwd file:
# mount -o remount,rw /
8. Change your root password:
# passwd root
9. Remount the filesystem back to read only:
# mount -o remount,ro /
10. Reboot your server using CTR-ALT-DELETE.
11. You will now be able to login with your new root password and carry out the maintenance.
Was this answer helpful?
Caution: VMware recommends having a complete backup of the virtual machine prior making these...
following this command line as root accessiptables -I INPUT -m state --state ESTABLISHED,RELATED...
for centos 6.x it is changed to the following codes : To print current limit type:# sysctl...
cd / dd if=/dev/zero of=tmpfile bs=1024 count=2048576 mkfs.ext4 -j /tmpfile mount -o...
Powered by WHMCompleteSolution